The Summit Record of July 7, 1916 reported that Common Council discussed replacing the Fire Department’s horse-drawn Hook and Ladder apparatus with a motorized one costing about $6000. The Fourth of July parade down Springfield Avenue featured over 700 marchers, including members of the Boy Scouts, the Sons of the American Revolution, the Italian-American Society, the Colored Brigade, women of the Special Aid Society, the fire departments of Summit and New Providence, and four bands. The parade was led by automobiles containing members of the Grand Army of the Republic (Civil War veterans). Local baker and business owner Emil Fitterer, a naturalized American citizen, received some complaints because he displayed the German flag on his Springfield Avenue building, although it was flying below Old Glory. The Chief of Police requested that he remove the flag while the parade was passing. Mr. Fitterer complied, but Mrs. Fitterer put it back, seeing that other businesses on the street were permitted to display Japanese, Italian, and Irish flags below the American flag.
The Library has a searchable database of local historical newspapers. Search or browse at: