The Library offers Notary Service for the benefit of the residents of Summit. The following guidelines will be followed in the provision of Notary Services:
- The service is based on the availability of the Notary.
- Notary service is on a first-come, first-serve basis. An appointment is recommended. Notary service may not always be available due to variable staff schedules.
- Valid photo identification is required of any customer seeking Notary service.
- Notary service is limited to three documents per person, per day.
- Documents in any language other than English will NOT be notarized at this library.
- New Jersey law requires that a Notary and the customer seeking notarization be able to communicate directly with each other. Library Notaries are NOT permitted to make use of a translator to communicate with a Notary Service customer.
- Certain public documents cannot be copied and notarized. Examples of these are: birth certificates, death certificates and marriage certificates.
- In accordance with New Jersey Notarial Law, Notaries will not provide service if the customer, documents or circumstances of the request for Notary Service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt or uncertainty for the Library. In this event, the Library Notary may, at his/her sole discretion, decline to provide Notary Service.
- Notary service is not available for deeds, wills, living wills, living trusts, codicils, depositions, adoptions, mortgages or other real estate closing documents.
- The library will not provide witnesses and witnesses may not be solicited from patrons using the library. In order to serve as a witness, the witness must personally know the person whose document is being notarized and must be in possession of valid photo identification.
- Unforeseen circumstances may sometimes result in a pre-scheduled appointment with a Library Notary to be cancelled.
Notary services are provided at no charge to Summit residents. There is a $1.00/signature charge for out-of-towners. Please call the Reference Desk at ext. 3 to schedule an appointment for notary public services.
Approved by The Library Board of Trustees 4/13/2016.